Thursday, May 30, 2013

Becoming Agile - Organizational Changes

Organization changes are difficult. As I've written before, the president of the company supports changing the organization to become more agile and I'll be talking about one of the successful project at Agile 2013. Nevertheless, I live is a real world - nothing works the way it should. We have our shares of failures.

The second topic in the Agile Manifesto is "Working software over comprehensive documentation". When this is applied to business, it "Getting things done over planning to get started".  It's nice to talk about what others should be doing or what they should do, but I think the Manifesto is more concerned about what "I" can do.

I like Kotter's 8 steps to leading change, but I also like the Dragonfly effect - 1. Focus, 2. Grab Attention, 3. Engage, 4. Take Action. Kotter's steps are too academic while Dragonfly effect is more down to earth and more doable as an individual.

As an example, trying to get organizational change to survive doesn't sound too interesting especially in Japan where most companies still have life-time employment. However, I'm very interested in happiness. If I have become happy and can make everybody around me happy, that would be great! That's what Dragonfly effect is all about - making everybody happy.

Agile is concerned about motivation and I think happy people are more motivated. Maybe instead of trying to change an organization, it may be better to just try to do something that'll make everybody around you happy. I have to admit that I haven't succeed yet in this endeavour yet, but I'm going to give it a try.

Following is a quote by Maya Angelou.
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Instead of talking to people, I maybe able to do better by making people happy. Instead of trying to change an organization, it maybe simpler to concentrate on making people happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment